This blog has moved

Monday, September 10, 2012

It feels good to create

For the last few weeks I have been in a serious creative funk. I’ve rally struggled to get started on anything, to finish anything, or even just to have an idea of what I wanted to know. And since art is my therapy, it has been a rough time to be in my head! But, this weekend, I finally did it – I started AND finished a project! Yay me! Big shout out to my hubs – he went out and bought me an easel for my studio, and it made me itch to get out there and play. The result? a huge canvas for my wall, with a message I really need to see at the moment.

I decided to take step by step pics to share with you guys, since the creative juices had all but dried up here on the blog. So enjoy!

Ooh, and before I forget, I also incorporated a NEW Art Squared prompt, so be sure to head over to check out our poor neglected project. My mojo has not been kind to Art2 :/

I started with an old 20x40 canvas that I’ve been wanting to rework for awhile, collaging a mixture of vintage maps and book text.

 

doubt2

I used a lot of DecoArt decoupage medium, and I mean ALOT. Purely because as it dries, it will really warp the paper and give lots of wrinkles, bubble, TEXTURE.

doubt3

I then added Liquitex gesso, by scraping it on with an old rewards card. I kept it very messy and random.

doubt4

Next I used a Crafters Workshop stencil to create a random design, using a sponge and Golden open acrylic paint in Nickel Azo Gold.

doubt5

After drying it really well, I used a round brush and some black acrylic to add my quote. I then finished if off with just a bit more of the golden acrylic around the edges.

Artful Fancies: Doubt Kills canvas by Melita Bloomer

It’s far from perfect – my script painting skills leave a lot to be admired – but it’s a finished piece that I am really happy with. It’s taking pride of place in my studio, in the hopes that when I get a case of the “what if’s”, the message on the canvas will give me the boost to keep on going anyway.

Til next time,'

Happy arting!

Lita xo

No comments: